The International Food Waste Coalition aspires to be leading the fight against out-of-home food waste, starting in Europe by:
- Acting throughout the whole value chain of the food services industry, including packaging and disposals;
- Impacting local, national and international régulations;
- Collectively improving practices across the whole value chain;
- Collectively running specific projects aimed at the end-users (schools, hospitals,…), achieving measurable results and creating momentum in society;
- Inspiring other
SKOOL is our first action-oriented programme to help schools adopt a comprehensive approach to reduce food waste and enable children to play their part. Through SKOOL, we are building a comprehensive approach to reduce food waste at school. Our ambition is to deliver packages to value chain players, education teams and cafeteria and kitchen staff to implement reduction actions along the whole food chain.
The SKOOL programme is based on three linked sub-projects to address food waste and losses along the food chain:
- Child awareness: to bring back the value of food
We give children the opportunity to become involved by using teaching materials and interactive food waste assignments/activities in schools during lessons or extracurricular time. The FAO and the IFWC have developed a comprehensive education kit to be used in schools to allow pupils to learn about, understand and act to reduce food waste.
- Food optimization: to rethink processes and practices
By tracking food waste in kitchens and at the children’s level, we can better understand why schools waste food, where and identify reduction actions to test with schools and kitchen staff. We associated our efforts with LeanPath, a food waste monitoring and tracking system, to optimize the process and reduce food waste at the kitchen and cafeteria.
- Value chain collaboration: to leverage the power of the value chain
Food optimization helps us identify the reasons for waste resulting from regulations, contracts, markets, logistics, industry and producers. After information collection from food optimization, we initiated dialogues to study opportunities for cross value chain collaboration We will work on guidelines to implement collaborative food waste reduction actions along the value chain.
Know more about others initiatives: